Friday, July 10, 2009

A Change in the Weather



Well I suppose it had to happen, the weather seems to have taken a turn for the worst, I heard today that the "Jet Stream" is currently hanging around over the UK and that autumnal storms are forecast for there. The weather definitely changed here on Sunday, it was a beautiful day and was very warm and I was going to Steve and Sally's for a celebration of their 31st wedding anniversary and another mate Tim's 50th birthday. Trevor had accepted an alternative invitation and so I was going on my own with T2 & T8 and I was driving and wasn't going to be able to drink but that was no hardship. I took my hoodie as an after thought, after all it had been so hot I hadn't worn a T shirt for weeks let alone a jacket, unless I was going out. There were 19 of us sitting down at Steve and Sally's, I'm staggered how they manage, even with the help they were getting from Tim and Sue and Kieron and Julia.

Five of the nineteen were French and there were quite a lot of English people that I hadn't met, they mostly ignored me and I spent my time talking to the French contingent, unlike most of the English (Steve,Sally,Kieron,Julia,Tim and Sue excluded) who seemed content in their nationalist clique. The English went to one end of the table I went to the French end and had a great time with Steve and Sally's neighbours Roger & Christine, who I had only met twice before but who immediately offered me their downstairs bedroom if I wanted to have a drink, and Jose and the adorable Isabel. The food was good amazingly so considering the numbers, and I'm sure that had I not been driving I would have consumed far too much alcohol, a lot of people seemed to be headed that way. Steve had asked me to write him a speech in French, to wish Tim a happy birthday, it was quite a challenge for me as written French is not my strong point. I kept it fairly simple although I did put a couple of jokes in, but I still had to labour long with the dictionary. It was even more of a challenge for Steve, reading the speech in the difficult light was his first hurdle and though his delivery was a bit iffy, pronunciation not being his forte, it went down a storm with the French contingent, which I guess was the point. I don't know how much of it the English contingent understood, but they seemed to laugh in all the right places and Steve got a well deserved ovation. All in all it was a great night but I couldn't work out why the English were so insular unless it is that they only have limited French and as such they can't be bothered to make the effort to communicate

By 10.30 it had gotten cold enough that most people were putting on tops, the delightful Isabel needed to borrow a top from Christine, it was a pale blue and brought out the colour of her eyes, it made her look even more beautiful. I put on my hoodie, it made me look like a gnome. Since then the weather has been different, by day there has been as much cloud as sun and the temperature has been about 10 degrees lower than before, the evenings have normally cleared and the nights have been cooler. So come on jet stream move back north again and let's have more of that hot stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment